Friday, January 28, 2011

I am a shoe junkie. (I’m also a brownie junkie, but that’s another post for another day.) It’s an addiction that I’ve been able to curtail over the past two to three years, but every time I pass a shoe store I start to break out in a sweat and I have to call my Shoes Anonymous mentor.

So I guess it’s only natural that when I saw the Young Women’s lesson was about Our Purpose in Life, I thought of comparing our unique talents and abilities to shoes. My plan is to set up some shoes on the table as a display, then talk about how, though each pair of shoes is different, it has its own purpose to help me in my life. Then I’ll point out how each person is important in the Lord’s eternal plan and has a unique role…I think you get the gist.

I was sitting in a really boring lecture yesterday that was supposed to take 20 minutes but ended up going for an hour and 15 minutes (not exaggerating) and I came up with this poem that illustrates my point. I'm going to print out a copy for all of the girls.

The Worth of a Sole (by Michelle S. Clark)
Within my lovely closet
There are several pairs of shoes:
High heels, boots, and flippy flops
In browns, reds, blacks, and blues

Some shoes were made for dancing,
Others were made to run.
A few are perfect for Sunday church,
And some I wear for fun.

My slippers might feel bad
Because they are so plain,
And wearing them to church
Would go against the grain.

But when my feet are tired
And my body is distressed,
Nothing beats the comfort of
My slippers when I rest.

The role in life they play
Is unique to every shoe.
Each has a special part
Without which I could not do.

Heavenly Father looks at us,
His daughters down on earth,
Each unique and treasured
From the moment of our birth

At times we might feel small.
We look at others and compare.
But within God’s eternal plan
We’ve talents we can share.

Just like I cherish every sole
Of every shoe of mine,
Each daughter’s soul is precious
In our Father’s grand design.

But, forget the lesson for a sec. If I were to be a shoe, this is the one I would want to be:

This shoe rocks. It's Briar Rose meets Cinderella, and I want it. Of course, even though the worth of a soul is priceless, you CAN put a price on a sole, which in this case is $28,000. Ouch!

4 comments:

  1. I just read both of your blogs and they are wonderful. I'm glad to get to know Mike better through you since I can't be around him due to distance. You've got a great mate there!! I loved your poem. (I don't know how you and Stephen do it. You didn't get any poetic genes from me that's for sure.) Naturally I'm going to put a copy of it in my journal. Where did you find that wonderful shoe? Anyway, thanks for posting. It was a great way to start my morning as I look at all the work that waited for me as Darrell and I were in Orlando. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there sexy Michelle! I thought your poem was quite unique and I loved it. It was sweet. So is the rose shoe. Wow, $28,000. I was thinking of printing your poem out for the young women in our branch; would you mind? Maybe I could make shoe cookies....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love shoes too btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you like the poem!! If you want to use it, you're more than welcome to! My mom printed out a copy to give to the sisters at the MTC, so the more the merrier.

    ReplyDelete