Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Mr. Jekyll and Dr. Hyde

Last Tuesday was a looooong day at work and I came home exhausted. I had felt fine driving home from work but the second I walked into the garage, I kid you not, it was like a light switch flipped and all of a sudden I felt tired and hungry and instead of handling it like a mature person and grabbing something to eat really quickly, I got grumpy. Seriously. Like a two-year-old who missed his nap, I turned into a total Cranky Pants.

Mike was so excited to see me when I walked in and all I could give him were subdued answers and a cursory hug and kiss as I was walking up the stairs. He’s getting really good at picking up my moods, though. All he said was, “You seem like you need to rest.” Yes, I did. Thirty minutes lying down and I sat up all smiles and sunshine and was fine for the rest of the evening. Poor Mike. He did not sign up for the Jekyll and Hyde switcheroo at the altar.

So I'm going to I'm trying to keep this behavior to a minimum, because Mike deserves a normal wife. When I get into these moods, I'm going to make my way of handling it be to smile and do chores. Or go jogging. Or finish up some crafts, which is what I really need to do. I have a thousand projects I've purchased, only a fraction that I've started, and even fewer that I've completed. These crafts form piles in our library, bedroom, kitchen, and garage.

Here's the Michelle Method of Craft Completion:
---1- Buy project
---2- Invest $$$ in supplies needed to complete project
---3- Arrange project and supplies for easy access
---4- Leave project sitting out
---5- At this point, you have two options:
------a. Realize you're just too busy right now and put it away
------b. Keep looking at it and feel guilty for not getting to it
---6- Allow 2 weeks to 2 decades to pass
---7- Find project accidentally and realize it should be done
---8- At this point, you have three options:
------a. Give it to your mother or a friend to finish
------b. Throw or give away
------c. Go nuts as you finish it yourself

One day, I'll see if I can pull some Jekyll and Hydeness in the direction of 8c and work on diminishing the piles. In the meantime, I think I'll grab a cookie and take a nap.

3 comments:

  1. Nice to hear that you're a normal, hormonal woman Michelle:) Glad that you have such a wonderful and understanding husband; it makes those mood swings so much easier to handle. And if you ever want help finishing up a project, just give me a call. I'd love to help you out and learn how to do something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog Michelle. I love Mike as he responds to you better that I would have. You have such a gift of writing and finding cute things to add to them like the comic.
    As I read the blog and got to 8a, my thought was: I have plenty of my own unfinished projects thank you. Then I read Emily's response and felt three things. 1. A slight sense of guilt that my thought was not of you but of me. 2. A realization that I'm pretty good at 8b and that feels good. 3. A huge surge of gratitude for Emily's attitude. I have such wonderful daughters - Michelle, Megan, Janelle, Emily - thanks for blessing my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What awesome women I'm related to! Love you all! :)
    Mike and yourself sound like you know how to treat each other just right. I'm happy you have each other!

    ReplyDelete