Saturday, July 16, 2011

I've been recovering from a miscarriage over the last few days. I worried about a lot of things during the 10 weeks I was pregnant, but I never thought I would go through a miscarriage. It hasn't been easy. Of the many emotions that I've gone through--guilt, peace, disappointment, grief, gratitude--I can honestly say that anger and bitterness are not among them. I've tried very hard not to ask "Why?" but "What can I learn from this?" One thing about our "trial-by-fire" moments, there is no end to the lessons to be learned. I'm pretty invested in learning these lessons the first time around, because this is an experience I'd rather not repeat. Even so, I'm grateful for a Heavenly Father who loves me enough to give me experiences to stretch me, help me grow, and hopefully turn me into a more Christlike daughter.

I pray often for compassion as a doctor and just charity in general. I suppose I would have preferred to refine those traits by other methods, but I will certainly approach others differently who are going through difficult circumstances. Heavenly Father blessed me with some wonderful, compassionate doctors during one of the hardest days I've gone through. One ER doctor in particular came in several times to check on me, just to chat and see how I was doing rather than sending in a nurse. Another doctor sat down and the only thing he said was that things happen for a reason, but that it wasn't my fault, Mike's fault, or the baby's fault. It was just one of "those things." I've been trained to say those very words to families of patients. I've said them more times than I can count to parents of children with autism, Down syndrome, prematurity, cerebral palsy, etc. I never realized how comforting and reassuring those words are and how much you need to hear them in times like that. When I say it now, I can mean it even more.

The day after my D&C was a rough day. I woke up and before I could wipe the sleep away or stretch or anything, my throat constricted and my eyes filled with tears. I thought, "Oh no, this is a terrible way to start my day." I knew that if I allowed myself to wallow, the day would just go from bad to worse. A conversation I'd had with my mom earlier about gratitude came into my head. Maybe it sounds stupid and a little trite, I started a prayer of gratitude for everything I laid my eyes on. I started with the window, which was bringing in the daylight. I was grateful for the fan keeping us cool, because we don't have air conditioning. I was grateful for the ceiling because it meant I had a roof over my head. That went on for several minutes and then I looked at Mike sleeping next to me. My heart swelled with such gratitude for him--for his unfailing support, his quiet reassuring presence during a difficult couple of weeks, his worthiness to hold the priesthood, and his desires to do what is right and what is good for our family. There is so much more in my life that brings me joy rather than sorrow!

One of the best things to come out of this is to be able to feel the love of friends and family in ways that I never would have otherwise. Thank you so much to those who have emailed, called, and sent cards. I've also had some of the most wonderful conversations I've ever had with my parents and siblings as they called to offer their sympathy and support. They may not have known what to say, but the fact they called means more to me than they will ever, ever know.

Through trials, there is peace and comfort to be felt. There is happiness to be found. Overall, this feels more like a postponement in our lives rather than a loss. I hope that, if I've learned anything from the years and years and years of being single, it's to trust in the Lord's timetable and His plan for me.

5 comments:

  1. Michelle and Mike, we love you guys. We hope that you'll be able to continue feeling the love and support from friends and family no matter how tough life gets. You are a wise and loving woman Michelle and I hope that you two will be blessed with children soon. I'm sorry you couldn't have your baby now. He or she will see you a little later. When you trust in God and follow Him, no matter what happens, I know you'll be blessed with everything and more that you could desire. May you feel peace and love now and always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thought and prayed about your frequently since we found out about your loss. I am truly sorry that this has happened.

    I want you to know that I appreciate this post. It has been a struggle for me this week, being alone. Lots of feelings of frustration, anger, loneliness etc have been going through me.

    To see that you have posted such feelings of gratitude during a trial have inspired me. I know that there will be ups and downs for both of us during the next several weeks, but I am striving to be more grateful for the things that I have. Thank you for being a great example.

    We love you and think of you often. Take care and please let us know if there is anything we can do to help you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took care of a patient today with just the same problem. She had lost a baby in the 20th week. She's at training and all alone and unmarried. She was pretty broken up. Understandably, I thought of you a lot at work today. I tried to take care of her the way I hope you were taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, thank you for your beautiful and tender expression of your feelings. Of course as I read it, I shed a few tears and then I read what Janelle, Emily, and Stephen had to say and I shed a few more. You're right about happiness to be found along with peace and comfort - one of those places is in loving, caring families. I'm thankful that God's plan of happiness involves families. Darrell and I love you and Mike so much. We're thankful for your faith and trust in the Lord. We are so blessed!!
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spoke today in Sacrament Mtg about the trials missionaries will experience. I really liked Alma 7:11.
    This has for sure been a tender week for me. I find myself holding the babies that come In a little longer and more lovingly than usual. The parents lovingly approve and we talk about the "grandpa moment". It's all very sweet, but it's been my Michelle I've been thinking about.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete