Thursday, July 21, 2011

Good News!

My Army promotion came through! Not that it means much for right now. (See blog entry from Feb 2, 2011.) Some time next spring/summer, I'll be Major, but for the next year I get to wear the tedious title of Captain (Promotable) Clark.

Mike continues to excel in his classes. He just made the Dean's List for winter semester! He has a 4.0 GPA and works very hard to maintain that. He's taking a statistics class right now that can only be described as "brutal." I took statistics in college as part of my major and I remember I really enjoyed it. When I look over Mike's textbook and see the work he's doing, I'm now wondering if I was sniffing glue back then because WOW this stuff is painful.

I have to hand it to Mike, though. It's been frustrating, but he's kept plugging along. He worked for two full days on one half of one assignment to make sure he got it right. He's had to figure out the answer to stuff like whether or not a study showing better hearing after big meals is statistically significant and other, you know, really pressing issues. My feeling is, if you're going to force someone to do statistics, make it something relevant. Make us care about the answer! Case in point:

2 comments:

  1. Well, it looks like you and I probably won't ever be the same rank as each other...

    Good job Mike! You're a better man than I.*

    *At getting good grades in college. I can neither confirm nor deny the betterness in other respects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just spent all weekend with you and didn't check your blog while I was there. If I had, I would have addressed you as Captain Promotable Clark at least once! Darrell and I are so proud of you and Mike. Congratulations Michelle on your promotion and congratulations Mike on your education! Thanks for a great weekend at your home. Mike and Michelle, we love you!!

    ReplyDelete