Tuesday, February 22, 2011


Mike canNOT keep a secret when he's excited about something. This is especially true when it comes to holidays. I, on the other hand, love the anticipation of waiting until the holiday. Mike's enthusiasm is infectious, however, so this year for Valentine's Day, I decided to do "The 14 Days of Valentines" for Mike.

Day 1: One-hour massage
Day 2: Two movie tickets
Day 3: Three bottles of Martinelli's
Day 4: Super Mario Bros. for Wii (a game for up to four players)
Day 5: Blazers tickets for the 5th of March
Day 6: Six e-cards
Day 7: Seven oz. of sour lips
Day 8: Eight slices of pizza
Day 9: Nine haiku poems I wrote (see examples below)
Day 10: $10 gift cards to iTunes
Day 11: Eleven kisses
Day 12: Mix CD of twelves songs
Day 13: A game of Pizza 31 (This took some creativity, but 31 backwards is 13.)
Day 14: Fourteen reasons why I love Mike + 14 (ish) oz of See's Chocolates!

I'll be honest. I thought that if I gave him daily Valentines, it would be easier for him to wait until the actual day to give me mine. Not so. On Friday, February 11, Mike sent me a text: "Can I give you your Valentine's Day present tomorrow instead of Monday?!?!?" My response: "Well, is it because it works better tomorrow or because it's too hard to maintain the surprise?"
Mike: ...both, maybe?!
Mike: No, BOTH!!!
Me: Hahahahahaha! I'll have to get back to you on that.
Mike: Ok, but please say "yes."

So we had most of Valentine's Day on Saturday, February 12, but it ended up extending through the weekend and culminating on Monday. Mike woke up early on Saturday and made me apple cinnamon oatmeal French toast, which is what he made for me last year on Valentine's day. When I came down for breakfast, there were 12 balloons (see picture) in the kitchen along with a new dress, a huge card, and a bouquet of flowers. On Sunday, we came home and he pampered me by pouring a bubble bath with some scents he got at Bath and Body works and giving me chocolates he'd hand picked from See's. It was so sweet and so romantic. Our fantastic weekend culminated with dinner at Palomino's Restaurant in Seattle and an evening at a comedy club. Mike also bought me a new coat (pictured above) and some earrings and a bracelet.

As a side note, the day also turned out to be great for people watching. There was a guy who freaked out and ran away from us when we opened up an umbrella in front of him. The person sitting in front of us at the comedy show clapped and laughed like Steve Martin in "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" when he's pretending to be Ruprect the Monkey Boy. (Oklahoma! Oklahoma! Oklahoma!). The woman working at the Nordstrom's makeup counter had a blue and white bouffant hair"style." We saw a couple in their 50's get into their car and greet their dog by barking at it. Loudly. And howling. Loudly. For 2-3 minutes.

That's Seattle, the "Never Seen THAT Before" City.

And now for the haikus:
#1 Husband!
Go put that on your Facebook
And click to "like" it.

A Trailblazers fan.
Canby? Roy? Knee surgery!
Better luck next year.

Black Cherry Weinhard's.
Yay! Four chilling in the fridge!
I have so much more!!!

Our temple marriage:
Greater happiness than I
Could have imagined.

3 comments:

  1. What a great Valentine surprise from both of you to each other. Cute pic Michelle! We love you Mike and Michelle. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bubble bath huh? Who was that present for, you or him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. if you have another Valentines that's similar by half, that will still be absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete