Saturday, October 16, 2010

Ashford University, Class of 2012

I've been thinking a lot lately about what a blessing education is. I have always loved learning. When I was at BYU, I had a personal registration tradition. I would watch movies with the telephone held protectively in my lap all evening, snarling ferociously at anyone who dared approach. The minute the clock hit 12:01, I was on the open phone lines signing up for a new semester of classes. And I took nerdish delight braving the BYU Bookstore lines to buy $1200 worth of brand new textbooks, which I would sell back for 48 cents at the end of the semester. I miss "my" study spot in the library (2nd floor, southeast corner, back behind the old atlases).

When I met Mike a year ago, he had a great job in banking. This wonderful man quit his job so that he could move up to DuPont to be with me. He looked around for a job here, but nothing felt quite right. In the back of his mind, he'd always wanted to go back to school. He's put a lot of thought into it and he decided to pursue a degree in social work. He registered for and was accepted into Ashford University's online program to get a bachelor's in sociology!

I am so proud of Mike! It takes serious effort and faith to start over in a completely different field. His desire to serve the community and provide for our family has led him to a career where I can see him being a tremendous influence for good. Every action he does is driven by a desire to serve, which makes me love him and also makes him perfect as a social worker.

As he's been taking his first class this week, which is about adult development, I see that same love of learning in him. I love coming home from work and hearing about what he's read that day. When I see how excited he is, it makes me so nostalgic for school. It also intensifies the desire I've always had to pass that love of learning and knowledge to our children. What a great example they'll have in Mike!
Way to go, honey! Big kiss!!!

3 comments:

  1. Well Michelle, after visiting with you on the phone tonight, I read every word of your blog posts and thoroughly enjoyed it! You have a great way with words and I even laughed out loud at times. The 'cat is out of the bag' now and I'm letting your siblings know that you and Mike have a blog. Thanks - I enjoyed it all. Great photos of you two!! We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Mike! I hope that you continue to enjoy your studies.

    Michelle, for the first time since I graduated, I am also missing school. Maybe I'll have to go back for a masters one day. I've been thinking Public Health:)

    Have a great day! Keep the updates updated:)
    love,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kinda miss school too. Its nice to have something that you're regularly studying and learning and turning in projects for when you ENJOY it, for the most part. Go Mike Go! Kick some Ashford boudy! So how long has it been (if you don't mind sharing!) since you've been a student?

    Emily - my Dad worked in Public health for awhile and really loved it. It was the administration crud and company politics junk which led him to leave it. I'm sure whatever state you end up working for, if you go into that, won't be as bad as Florida was.

    ReplyDelete