Wednesday, July 18, 2012

When One Door Closes...

Mike and I left Washington State on Sunday and started our 3-and-a-half week long move to Washington DC. Because of Army bureaucracy and the fact that they typically make their servicemembers move at around the exact same time, movers couldn't be scheduled to get our stuff until the 27th of July--2 weeks after we had to start our drive.

As I went back into the house for one last look to make sure we got everything we were going to take, I happened to see a quilt my mom made for Sophia on the couch. I was hit with such a wave of sadness that I couldn't keep the tears back. I can't tell you how heart-wrenching it was to drive off and leave all our stuff behind and wonder if I'll ever see it again. I know they're just possessions, but they're OUR possessions, filled with memories and nostalgia. I wonder if that's how Sariah felt when she and Lehi packed up a few belongings and set off with their entire family to parts unknown. This has certainly been a test of my faith. At least Mike and I know where we're going and, barring a crises, we will get our things back. But just in case, I hurried and grabbed the quilt before locking up the house. I just couldn't leave it behind with everything else.

It was harder to leave Washington than I anticipated. I had a wonderful three years there. I arrived single and left married to the most amazing, wonderful man and with a beautiful little daughter. My family relationships now extend to the best in-laws that anyone could ever ask for. I have made friendships that I will treasure forever. Career-wise, I have found the perfect fit for me and I couldn't imagine being anything else.

I'm sure our time in Washington DC will be just as happy. We have a house waiting for us. I've met my coworkers and I already like them. The area is rich with culture and history. And Mike and I have many friends there that we just haven't met yet. There are some great memories in DC just waiting for us to make them.

2 comments:

  1. Oh moving is always such an adjustment! I love being in WA and yet it has been one of the harder adjustments for me. Things get better all the time though and I know they will for you too.

    I promise I'll make sure to take care of your things. They will make it safely to DC. Safe travels. We miss seeing you here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet post Michelle. We're so thankful for the things that have happened to you in Washington. Maryland is full of future blessings too. We just wish it wasn't so far away.

    ReplyDelete