Saturday, August 20, 2011

Today was relaxing. Marvelous, catching-up-with-your-inner-peace, relaxing. While Mike worked on a paper for one of his classes, I relished the fact that I have no lectures to write (I gave two this week), no notes to finish up, and no research project busy work to do. How I love days like this!

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but this week had its share of stress. On Wednesday I gave a lecture on autism to a group of school nurses from one of the school districts here. I was given the address of the junior high but not directions on how to get there. It was 45 minutes away, but I gave myself an hour and a half for traffic and for the purposes of setting up.

Turned out it was a good thing I did, because Google Map and MapQuest decided to mess with my mind and sent me to the middle of a corn field. Literally. I called Mike, who got online and couldn't get directions, either. He finally found a satellite picture of where the school was. The next part was trying to decipher where I was so that he could tell me how to get there.

Mike: What buildings are close to you?
Me: Nothing except some houses in the distance.
[After driving for a couple minutes.]
Mike: OK, now are any landmarks around you?
Me: I'm in the middle of a farm. The only landmarks here are corn and animals.
Mike: Sounds like junior high to me.

He didn't really say that last part.

My wonderful husband stayed on the line with me for about 20 minutes until he successfully navigated me to the junior high, which was 4 or 5 miles away around windy roads. I made it with about 10 minutes to spare. It would have been impossible to find without his help. Talk about stress. It doesn't matter who you are or how old you get, it's never fun being lost.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the laugh this morning. By the way, where do you find such funny comics? Keep posting - you're a great writer.
    MOM

    ReplyDelete