Sunday, August 21, 2011

Mike and I went to a church BBQ/potluck last night. Neither of us are hamburger/hotdog fans, so we were really relying on the side dishes to get us through the meal. I have to say, we were a little disappointed by the selection. (I should admit that I'm as guilty as everyone there, because Mike and I forgot about it until the last minute and only had a package of Oreos to take.)

No one passed around a sign up sheet beforehand and now I have a testimony as to their importance, because there were over 15 different variations on the theme of Potato Salad. Aside from some desserts, a tray of picked-over vegetables, and a lonely bowl of lettuce salad, that was it. I could hardly believe that this was the fare at a Mormon church potluck!!!

I drove home thinking about church potlucks back home and how sadly lacking this one was by comparison. I know I grew up complaining because they always served the same foods no matter the occasion, time of year, or what ward you went to. I realize now that without those foods, it just didn't seem right.

--Where was the frog eye salad? Can it truly be a Mormon potluck without frog eye salad?
--What about sloppy joes? Even if the main dish is provided, someone always brings sloppy joe meat. I don't even like sloppy joes, but I missed them.
--No one brought Jello?!? Are you for-realing me?? I know we joke about the green Jello salad, but be honest...if there's no Jello salad there, don't you feel just a little bit cheated?
--There was not one casserole there. I was beyond shocked! I figured at least one pan of funeral potatoes would be found, but no. Apparently, all the potatoes in the ward were used to make salads.
--Ahhhhh, crockpot spaghetti, you good Mormon standby, you. At worst, you're bland and sticky, but if your maker is generous with the sauce and even melts in some mozzarella, you are potluck goodness.
--Speaking of pasta, did no one bring a pasta salad? I can't believe it! I can almost taste it now...tricolored corkscrew pasta, oil, vinegar, green peppers, olives, and onions. Yeah, it's dull and unimaginative, but it's Potluck Pasta Salad!

It's true that there are generally few surprises when it comes to the typical ward potluck, but that's what makes it so wonderful and comfortable. Among the predictability of the food is the fellowship of the people who bring it. For example, you always knew that Sis. Hortin would bring her homemade rolls. Mom would take one of her varieties of pasta salad. The Claytons always took an amazing dessert. You looked forward to the dishes and the people you associated with them.

So now you can number me among the Potluck Believers. Pass around the sign up sheet and grab me a casserole dish! It's time for the funeral potatoes!

1 comment:

  1. Fun blog Michelle. It's been awhile since I've been to a ward potluck. I wonder what I would make now?
    MOM

    ReplyDelete