Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Well, we did it. We decorated gingerbread houses. And yet I post this picture and feel like a faker because I didn't actually bake the gingerbread. I'm so ashamed, but I bought two pre-made kits. Between all our travels, I knew that I would never get to making the gingerbread this year. Plus, I didn't have any of Mom's patterns. I feel like I've failed my heritage.

The gingerbread looked OK but that frosting was poo. It never set and it was the texture of modeling clay. And when I tried to rinse out the frosting bags with hot water, the frosting wouldn't dissolve. I'm pretty sure it was made of silly putty.

Still, even though we had to hold each candy in place for 5 minutes before putting on the next one and even though we strained our hands from squeezing the frosting bags so hard, we had a great time.

It's a fun tradition to carry on. Next year, I won't cheat.

1 comment:

  1. Just FYI, I found all of my patterns for free on-line. There are TONS of free patterns. And I agree, the frosting is the key to making a successful gingerbread house. We're excited to see you soon!
    love,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete