Friday, December 10, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010 Highlights: Part 2

We went to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade on Thursday. It was so good. Mike and I took the train to Penn Station and then walked a mile up the road to where we were supposed to meet Bonnie and Noel. We happened to pass through all the parade people who were waiting to meet up with their floats. I whipped out my camera and this gentleman stopped me and said, "Arrrr, lass, ye can't be takin' yer pictures in these parts. It not be permitted."

Actually, he didn't talk in a pirate accent, I just think it would have been cool. He did jokingly tell me it wasn't allowed to take pictures but I took him seriously and started to put my camera away. Then he felt bad and we ended up getting this picture together. I don't call it gullible, I call it trusting.

We had to get to the parade quite early to get sidewalk space with a decent view. Bonnie and Noel got there at around 6:30 or 7:00 and we showed up about an hour later.

By that time, the kids were a little bored, so Mike entertained them with his fish face. I don't know who loves it more: me or the kids.

The parade began with Snoopy coming down the road. Those balloons were amazing. I had always been so bored with the balloons on TV, but being there live, they were my favorite part.

I was worried that 2-year-old Nicholas and 1-year-old William would get board at the parade. Not even close. They loved the parade. William was especially enthralled by the big balloons as they passed. He would watch for them as they appeared at the beginning of the street and his gaze would not falter until it was completely out of sight. Mike was so sweet and held him for most of the 2 1/2-hour parade and I love how this picture reminds me of what a great time we all had together. Plus I love the gritty realism of a crusty kid nose.

This float made me think of Christmas growing up because we had these Sesame Street Christmas ornaments that Mom had crocheted that we would hang on the tree every year. And on Christmas Eve, we used to watch A Sesame Street Christmas. Fun memories.

I loved the Smurfs growing up. I remember running downstairs with Richard to turn on cartoons every Saturday morning when we lived in Kaysville. Smurfs was definitely one of our favorites. This float sparked feelings of nostalgia, but also umbrage because there's a CGI/live action Smurfs movie coming out next year where the Smurfs get trapped by Gargamel in NYC. It's because Smurfs was such an integral part of my childhood cartoon memories that I feel so offended by what I feel is a plot travesty to bring them into the modern world. Maybe it'll be good, but I'm not holding my breath.

Here's Mike standing by his mom. I love my mother-in-law. It was so fun seeing her in New York and spending time with her at the parade.

One of my favorite moments happened at Bonnie and Noel's house after Thanksgiving dinner. Just before bed, we all knelt down together for family prayer. Afterwards, Cliffton got up and, as is his family's tradition, started hugging everyone in the circle. You could tell at first he was unsure if he was supposed to or not, but he started with Mike's mom and gave her a huge hug. Afterwards, he turned to Richard and said, "That's a nice lady, Daddy!" He then proceeded to hug everyone in the circle. It was the Thanksgiving equivalent of Tiny Tim's "God bless us, everyone!" I loved that both sides of our family could come together for such a fun day. It was a Thanksgiving never to be forgotten.

3 comments:

  1. This was such a fun blog to look at and read. I love the photos and the descriptions of your activities. (It looks like it was cold that day.) You and Mike are awesome! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I would like to have been there with you guys at the parade. I just think Violet would have made it really hard to enjoy everything. And it was cold! But, what a fun Thanksgiving with you and your in-laws! Love you Michelle! And Mike too, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great pics, great post. What a treat to have been there.

    ReplyDelete