Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Message from the Thanksgiving Grinch

We had a pre-Thanksgiving potluck at work today and as I was eating a lucious chocolate chip cookie that I will definitely need to get the recipe for, it occured to me that I'm actually excited for Thanksiving this year. This completely surprises me, as I haven't looked forward to that particular holiday since around the time I graduated from college. Even before then, I kind of saw Thanksgiving as a mere "filler holiday" to pass the time between Halloween and Christmas.

Here's been my perspective for the last 10 years: People spend hours—nay, days—of preparation for what will turn out to be a 30-minute meal. Sure, the food is good, (except for the green jello salad I’ve nicknamed the TND: Too Nasty to Digest) but it’s hard for me to get excited about the cooking and the eating knowing that a massive clean up awaits. (As everyone knows, the height of the mountain of dishes is directly proportional to the amount of time spent in preparation of the meal.) And it’s not just the food where the preparation exceeds what you get out of the finished product. My Thanksgiving memories revolve around making individual nut cups and carefully-calligraphied name cards, only to have them admired for the length of time it takes to eat the candy before being crumpled into a massive ball and thrown away.

I appreciate that Thanksgiving is a time of gratitude, but when I think of what I’m most grateful for, though food is somewhere on the list, family gets the top spot. I’d rather nuke a frozen pizza, have a few PB M&Ms for dessert (or go to a buffet at a restaurant), and then spend all day with family. No nut cups. No calligraphied name cards. No mountain of dishes. Oh--and NO pumpkin pie. I paraphrase Garrison Keillor's quote: “Pumpkin pie is the symbol of mediocrity. The best pumpkin pie you ever ate? Not much better than your worst. It’s just a big gloppy thing invented by the nutmeg company as an excuse for using their spice.” I can’t say it any better than that. It kind of captures what Thanksgiving has been for me: a holiday that embodies the Law of Diminishing Returns.

That is why I'm bordering shocked that I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving. We'll get to spend it with Richard (my brother) and his family and Bonnie (Mike's sister) and her family and Mike's mom. My feelings have changed partly, I think, because Mike loves Thanksgiving, but mostly because this year it feels like the emphasis is less on the food and more on the family.

Or maybe my heart has just grown three sizes over the last year.

5 comments:

  1. It's time to play Bloglibs, the game where you make a sample blog post as though it were written by Michelle! Try posting the finished results on your own blog, and maybe nobody will know the difference!

    I was thinking about [significant event] today. In the past, I've thought it was [adjective], and [pithy insult]. Lately, I think it's [glorious praise]. I don't know why. Maybe it's because [some random explanation other than the fact that she's married, which we all know is the real reason].

    PS-Your little image on the side doesn't agree with what you said about pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your post Michelle. Thanksgiving for me has always been about family. Even as a child I looked forward to Thanksgiving because it meant being with cousins and grandparents. (Of course as a child I wasn't part of the clean up so much. That hit when I got married.) However, clean up and preparation (yes it means work and you may have heard me complain) are not unpleasant to me.

    There is satisfaction in preparing a delicious meal presented with eye appeal, served on a beautifully decorated table, (on real china if the crowd isn't too big), with yes favors, and then bowing our heads as a family to offer thanks to our Father in Heaven for our bounties - especially the bounty of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. The work involved interestingly fills me with gratitude.

    I'm thankful that I'm able to fix a delicious meal and that we have the money to do that. I'm thankful that I'm healthy enough to clean up and not feel exhausted. I'm thankful that I have a home large enough to accommodate a crowd of wonderful family members and friends. I'm even thankful that I have been blessed with lovely dinner ware that I can use for occasions such as this. (Even if it has to be hand washed - which I'm used to now anyway because our dishwasher has been out of commission for two years.) I'm most of all thankful for the family that enjoys the fruits of my labors and the husband that has worked hard so that to provide the things that the fruits of my labors created.

    Thanksgiving is definitely about family and gratitude.

    I'm thankful for you and Mike and I hope your Thanksgiving is wonderful in every way.

    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blogs, Michelle. Thanks for saying you like the buffet idea. I'm all-over that idea. Not certain if your new Thanksgiving paradigm shift allows for that still, but don't loose that thought.

    I love Loretta's comments too. She's really good at this Thanksgiving thing, but next time you're here lets go to Chuck-a-Rama, your favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle's Bloglib:

    I was thinking about Veteran's Day today. In the past, I've thought it was insignificant, and an excuse for government workers to have the day off. Lately, I think it's probably become my favorite holiday. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I'm serving in the Army or because my Dad and Grandpa served in the Air Force. (or maybe I should just admit that it's because I'm married and that means that I have the day off to be with my husband:)

    Love you Michelle! It's fun reading your posts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh thank you for putting into words my thoughts about Thanksgiving dishes and time spent. Love the idea about a buffet!

    ReplyDelete