Monday, May 12, 2014

My Little Ry Guy

Ryan Michael Clark was born January 7, 2014 just after midnight.  For those who read the blogpost a couple years ago about Sophia's birth, you know that we had some scary moments where her heart rate started going very low. Although it was scary, everything turned out well.

Ryan's birth was even scarier.
Again, before I left for the hospital to see if I was going into labor, I got a Priesthood blessing from Mike where he said that helping hands would attend us at the birth. Things appeared routine at first, but after my water broke, Ryan's heart rate started going very, very low. At first, it recovered after contractions, but my nurse and doctors were worried because his heart rate was taking longer to return to normal.

Finally, they were so concerned that they told me that I would either have to push him out NOW, or they were going to try once with forceps and then go for emergency C-section. I started pushing for dear life…Ryan's life. The doctors even had me push even when I wasn't having an active contraction. I pushed constantly between 3 and 5 minutes and Ryan was born.

When Ryan came out, he looked dead. I knew he wasn't, but he was so limp and blue that the pediatricians whisked him to the warmer and spent a few minutes stimulating him before we heard him cry. We truly had wonderful doctors and nurses in the delivery room. Many helping hands joined us to make sure that Ryan was born safely. 

I'm also sure that there were unseen heavenly hands helping us. I was praying very hard that I would have the strength to deliver Ryan. It's impossible to describe what goes through your head when you know that you--and only you--stand between your child and a potentially heartbreaking outcome. Having gone through the experience twice, I don't know if I have the emotional strength to do it anymore. 

In retrospect, I wish I'd elected for a C-section. Because I pushed him out so hard and so fast, I've had some painful postpartum complications that I'm still dealing with 4 months later. But this little guy is worth it. So, so worth it.

Ryan is such as sweet, happy guy. He loves to talk and be around people. He laughs all the time. Unless he's hungry, he's content to sit and watch you, but he gets the biggest smile when you go to pick him up. He's a fun and amazing addition to our family.

Here's Ryan in what I call his "Grandpa Rowley" outfit. For those who met my Grandpa Rowley, you'll know exactly why. Whenever Grandpa worked in the garden or on the farm, he would put on some overalls that looked exactly like this. I remember him walking out his side door whistling and doing a little hop/jig as he went to work. My grandpa has been gone almost 20 years now, but it still makes me happy that I can put this little outfit on my son as a nod to him and the lessons on cheerfully working hard that he taught me.

Here he is on picture day, happy to be getting out.

He slept through Easter.

As you can see through the last pictures, Ryan keeps putting on the weight. He loves to eat, and I mean LOVES to eat. His cheeks are so pinchable. I could just cuddle with him all day. We sure love this guy and the sweet spirit that he brings into our family!

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Thanks for sharing. So glad that you both are safe. He is a cute addition. I know what you mean about postpartum complications. We each experience different kinds. But there are always complications of one sort or another. Hope you recover quickly. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing this blog. I love hearing how my children love their children. You are a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, what a cute little mister! I wish your L&D hadn't been so tough, but I'm glad he's safe and you are such a sweet momma! :)

    ReplyDelete