Wednesday, June 22, 2011

'Twas an eve of gilt-edge swords and fair maidens

One night, we decided to harness our inner geeks and went to a Medieval dinner. I'd seen different ones advertised before, but I think I only felt a mild curiosity about them. Growing up, I think we kids may have brought up the idea to go in Vegas or Anaheim, but it was shot down by a disinterested overruling party (aka Mom and Dad).


I didn't really know what to expect. I guess I thought I'd see a bunch of Renaissance festival rejects using the dinner as an excuse to wear a codpiece. And here I'm talking about the dinees, not the members of the show.


I'm happy to report that the people were pretty normal. Other than the performers, no one carried fake weaponry, wore tights, or spoke in fake British accents. I was relieved. The show itself was moderately campy but majorly entertaining and extremely fun.


Surprisingly, the dinner was very good. In keeping with the times, we ate without utensils. I had roasted game hen and Mike had roasted vegetables, both of which were savory and cooked to perfection. Honestly, I'd go back just for the meal.


Our knight perished in the course of the evening, which was very sad, but it didn't detract from what was a marvelous date night--truly one of the highlights of our vacation!

3 comments:

  1. Great post Michelle! Did you and Mike wear the crowns that I saw sitting by everyone's dinner plates?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. We felt a little bit Burger King-y about it, but what the hey. It was all part of the good, campy fun. We took some pictures of us wearing the crowns but I opted not to post them because the good, campy fun doesn't need to extend THAT far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did this in Anaheim when I was 16 and it was a blast! Our knight even threw a flower to my sister.

    ReplyDelete