Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Clark monthly Family Home Evening was last Sunday. We gathered at Brenda's house and had, seriously, one of the best FHE's on record. The lesson was on family unity, which so happens to be the YW lesson next Sunday. So, awesome, part of my lesson was prepared for me! They started off with "The Parable of the Porcupines." You can find it online, but I rewrote it a little to fit the YW lesson better.

I should also mention that after the lesson part, Brenda and John and family went the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th miles and made everyone dinner. Here was the catch: we had to have our hands tied to the person next to us and learn how to cooperate so we could eat. I lucked out, though. Andrea, our niece, was supposed to be sitting at my right but was helping serve dinner so I was able to scarf down the delicious dinner unhampered. Heh heh.

Anyway, here's a copy of the parable...at least my version of it.

The Parable of the Porcupines
It was the coldest of winters – so cold that the forest animals were perishing in the bitter weather. In order to save themselves from this icy fate, the porcupines gathered together to fend off the chill. As they huddled close, they protected each other from the elements and were warmed by their collective heat.

But their prickly quills proved to be uncomfortable in close proximity. They poked and stabbed each other, wounding their companions. Eventually, the discomfort became too great and they distanced themselves one from the other. In so doing, they ended up alone and frozen in the forest and they began to die.

It soon became clear that they had to make a choice: either accept the quills of their companions or succumb to the freezing temperatures. Wisely, they decided to band together. By learning to live with the little wounds caused by the close relationship with their fellows, they were able to survive.

Likewise, families don’t bring together perfect people. Instead, we learn to live with each other’s imperfections while we benefit from the spiritual strength and love the family provides.

I decided to make little porcupines to give to the girls on Sunday. I wanted to make cookies or something but, astonishingly, porcupine-shaped cookie cutters are hard to come by. Huh. Go figure. I did some brainstorming and ended up making "Porcupine Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats."


It took a little bit of trial and error, because a lot of the recipes out there ended up being too hard once they cooled and it made sticking in the pretzels quite difficult. I ended up using 3 Tbsp butter, 3/4 c peanut butter, 4 heaping cups mini marshmallows, and 4 cups Rice Krispies. The chocolate topping is 1/2 bag of chocolate chips, 1/2 bag butterscotch chips. Overall, I think they turned out well. Plus, they tasted yummy.

2 comments:

  1. Those are so cool. Have some ready for when I show up in September. :)

    I like the way Mike's family does a big FHE together every so often. If we move up there I think it would be fun to mimic their tradition with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle - what a great post. I love the parable and your porcupine creations look so yummy. I'm glad you included pictures, the parable, and your recipe. I'm so thankful you are part of a wonderful close family. Wish we could have a combined FHE like that.
    MOM

    ReplyDelete